The Current Transformer Burden Test Set (Catalog No. 1043) is a simple and inexpensive means whereby a current transformer installation may be quickly checked for many sources of trouble. The tests are made without interrupting the customer’s service and while the load is on.
TESCO’s 10 Amp Current Transformer Burden Test Set is essentially a multi-range ammeter with a built-in ohmic burden which is normally shunted, but which can be put in series with the meter by pressing a push button.
Extensive precautions have been taken in the design so that there will be a continuous and closed path in the watthour meter current circuit at all times, and the secondary of the current transformer will not be opened by accident.
The Current Transformer Burden Test Set is used for detecting the following sources of trouble in any C.T. installation.
- Short circuited primary turns on C.T.
- Short circuited secondary turns on C.T.
- High resistance joints or connections in the C.T. secondary circuit
- Short circuited secondary wiring
- Customer tampering
- Grounding of normal ungrounded wire
- Grounding of secondary winding when mounted on grounded structure
- Current ranges selected such that a half-scale reading on any range will be a full-scale deflection on the next lowest range. Consequently, a current range can be selected which will give at least half-scale deflection.
- Large easy to read panel meter
- Four current ranges
- Six ohmic burden values
- Non-conducting molded case